Saturday, October 24, 2015

Newport to Florence


Today I was going to head to Coos Bay for a pelagic trip on Sunday, but weather cancelled the trip so I decided to grab the dog and head over to the coast anyway.  I have not birded south of Newport in eons, my plan was to hit any fun looking spot from Newport down to Oregon Dunes near Florence.


A female Brown Booby was spotted in Newport, I decided to look for it as my first stop.  I was looking too far up the bay, some other birders spotted it down on the second set of range markers.



Lots of Common Loons were in various stages of molt.





I stopped at Ten Mile Beach to look at a huge flock of gulls.   A few adorable Mew Gulls were mixed in to the flock.


I explored the deflation plain at the Oregon Dunes National Rec Area.  I had a fun hike around the area.  This Peregrine Falcon was chasing some crows, or they were chasing it, I never did figure out who won.


A first-year Northern Shrike was working its way along  the edge of the plain.






I tried a few brief seawatches, lots of scoter out in the surf, no eider or shearwater were noticed.  The Heceta Head Lighthouse is beautiful.




A nice day, thanks for visiting.



No comments:

Post a Comment